Scroll Top

Accident Insurance

What is Accident Insurance?

If you suffer an accidental injury, this plan:

  • Pays lump-sum for covered injuries and expenses,
  • Covers more than 50 types of injuries, services, and treatments,
  • Covers accidents that occur on or off the job,
  • Pays you for covered accidental injuries and their treatment, and
  • Helps with out-of-pocket costs that your medical plan doesn’t cover, like co-pays and deductibles.
  • PLEASE NOTE:  Accident Insurance is only available during Annual Open Enrollment


HSTA VEBA Trust also provides a $5 subsidy to reduce your monthly premium.
Dependents of HSTA members are also eligible for this coverage.
Learn more about HSTA Accident Insurance.

Who is Eligible?

  • Be an Active HSTA Member and working a minimum of 17.5 hours per week, or
  • Be an Associate HSTA Member regularly employed by the State of Hawaii and working a minimum of 17.5 hours per week, or
  • Be a regularly scheduled employee of the Hawaii State Teachers Association and working a minimum of 17.5 hours per week.
Dependent Coverage As long as you are enrolled for coverage under the Accident Insurance Plan, your family members may also apply for coverage. See full dependent coverage description on page 31 of Summary Plan Description.

Remember: If you enroll, the $5 benefit subsidy
will be applied to your monthly premium.  You could have a monthly premium as low as $0.77.


 High/Platinum PlanLow/Gold Plan
Member Only$8.56$5.77
Member + Spouse$16.74$11.36
Member + Child(ren)$20.17$13.73
Member + Spouse + Child(ren)$23.74$16.16


Step 1:  Opening a Claim

Call 1-800-GET-MET8 or


to get a claim form via email, fax or mail. To officially open the claim, you need
to submit a fully completed claim form including the physician statement.

Step 2:  Processing a Claim
Answer a few simple questions about what happened and upload your medical documentation to support your claim.  Be sure there are no missing information, that could delay the process.

Within 3 days after receipt of a completed claims form including the physician statement, a Claims Acknowledgment Letter is mailed to you.  You only need one claim form per accident.  Every claim is reviewed by a claim professional.

Step 3:  Payment
Once your claim is approved, payment is issued to you to use however you like.

How to File a Claim

If an accident occurs, you must fill out an Accident Claim Form and send it to UNUM.  Claim forms are available from the Trust Office.  You must send UNUM the claim form not later than 90 days after the accident or as soon as it is reasonably possible to do so, but in no event more than one year after the time this proof is required.

Send the completed Accident Claim Form by mail or fax to:

The Benefits Center
P.O. Box 100158
Columbia, SC, 29202-3158

Toll free Fax:  1-800-447-2498
Toll free number:  1-800-635-5597

For assistance call toll free Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time)

Accident insurance pays a set benefit amount directly to you based on the type of treatment received due to an accident.  It covers things like ER treatment, fractures, stitches and more.  You can use the money however you choose.  Accident Insurance does not replace medical insurance, it complements medical insurance.

Covers over 50 possible accidents and treatments, from common injuries to more serious events.  It covers accidents whether on or off the job.  An added benefit, all members enrolled receive a $5 subsidy applied towards your monthly premium.

As a new HSTA member, you will be allowed to enroll when the enrollment packet is mailed to you.  If you miss that opportunity, you can enroll during our annual   Open Enrollment.

No, it is guaranteed coverage. 

Yes.  You can cover your spouse and dependent child(ren) as defined in the Summary Plan Description (SPD).

For your convenience, premiums are paid via DAGS payroll deduction.

We will notify the accident insurance carrier that you are retiring.  Coverage is portable, you can take it with you paying the carrier directly.