What is Accident Insurance?
If you suffer an accidental injury, this plan:
- Pays lump-sum for covered injuries and expenses,
- Covers more than 50 types of injuries, services, and treatments,
- Covers accidents that occur on or off the job,
- Pays you for covered accidental injuries and their treatment, and
- Helps with out-of-pocket costs that your medical plan doesn’t cover, like co-pays and deductibles.
- PLEASE NOTE: Accident Insurance is only available during Annual Open Enrollment
Who is Eligible?
- Be an Active HSTA Member and working a minimum of 17.5 hours per week, or
- Be an Associate HSTA Member regularly employed by the State of Hawaii and working a minimum of 17.5 hours per week, or
- Be a regularly scheduled employee of the Hawaii State Teachers Association and working a minimum of 17.5 hours per week.
|Medium/Platinum Plan||Low/Gold Plan|
|Member + Spouse||$24.66||$17.35|
|Member + Child||$28.47||$18.75|
|Member + Family||$37.88||$25.42|
How to File a Claim
If an accident occurs, you must fill out an Accident Claim Form and send it to UNUM. Claim forms are available from the Trust Office. You must send UNUM the claim form not later than 90 days after the accident or as soon as it is reasonably possible to do so, but in no event more than one year after the time this proof is required.
Send the completed Accident Claim Form by mail or fax to:
The Benefits Center
P.O. Box 100158
Columbia, SC, 29202-3158
For assistance call toll free Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time)
Accident insurance pays a set benefit amount directly to you based on the type of treatment received due to an accident. It covers things like ER treatment, fractures, stitches and more. You can use the money however you choose. Accident Insurance does not replace medical insurance, it complements medical insurance.
Covers over 50 possible accidents and treatments, from common injuries to more serious events. It covers accidents whether on or off the job. An added benefit, all members enrolled receive a $5 subsidy applied towards your monthly premium.
As a new HSTA member, you will be allowed to enroll when the enrollment packet is mailed to you. If you miss that opportunity, you can enroll during our annual Open Enrollment.
No, it is guaranteed coverage.
Yes. You can cover your spouse and dependent child(ren) as defined in the Summary Plan Description (SPD).
We will notify the accident insurance carrier that you are retiring. Coverage is portable, you can take it with you paying the carrier directly.