What is Life Insurance?
Life insurance provides a lump sum of money to beneficiaries upon death of the insured. It is intended to replace the deceased’s loss of current and some future income. Whether the insured dies of natural or accidental causes, his/her beneficiaries will receive lump payments. Life insurance can help:
- Replace the loss of future income
- Provide the ability for a spouse/partner to keep a home
- Allow a surviving partner to raise and educate children
- Unlike whole life insurance, term insurance has no cash value.
BASIC LIFE INSURANCE (For Members ONLY)
Ensure your loved ones are taken care of after you are gone. We have affordable group rates for members, the most economical insurance is the Basic Life, and it’s a decreasing term life insurance.
Who is Eligible?
Be an Active or Associate HSTA Member.
$1.50 per month or $.75 per paycheck
Under age 65 – $15,000.00
Age 65-69 – $ 9,750.00
Age 70-74 – $ 6,750.00
Age 75-79 – $ 4,500.00
Age 80 and over – $ 3,000.00
How to File a Claim
- The Trust Office must be notified when a covered individual passes away.
- The Beneficiary (or the Beneficiary’s authorized representative) must complete and submit IRS Form W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) and a certified copy of the Death Certificate to the Trust Office. If the Beneficiary is a Trust, a copy of the Trust instrument and all amendments, if applicable, must be submitted to the Trust Office.
- Upon notification and receipt of the required documentation, the Trust Office will complete the necessary forms and transmit them together with the required documentation to Pacific Guardian Life.
Yes, if you are a current HSTA member, call the HSTA VEBA TRUST at 440-6940 or 1-800-637-4926 (neighbor islands) and request application forms to be mailed to you. An Evidence of Insurability Form may need to be completed in addition to the application form.
The insurance carrier makes that determination. They will inform you directly if your application has been approved or denied. Upon approval, HSTA VEBA TRUST will enroll you.
No. The death benefit amounts are set for the Basic Life Insurance according to your age. More coverage is available via Basic Plus Life Insurance. When yourBasic Plus Life Insurance gets approved by the insurance carrier; you will have both the Basic Life Insurance and the Basic Plus Life Insurance.
The cost will continue to be $1.50 per month, but the amount of coverage will change to $9,750. After age 65, coverage decreases every 5 years so please refer to plan details in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) for more information.
No. Spouse and dependent children coverage is available via the Basic Plus Life Insurance Plan.
Can I cancel my Basic Life Insurance Plan if I am also enrolled in the Basic Plus Life Insurance Plan?
For your convenience, premiums are paid via DAGS payroll deduction.
To ensure uninterrupted coverage, please inform HSTA VEBA Trust that you will be on leave so that HSTA VEBA Trust can bill you directly for the premium(s).