Scroll Top

Retiree Basic Plus Life Insurance

What is Life Insurance?

Life insurance provides a lump sum of money to beneficiaries upon death of the insured.  It is intended to replace the deceased’s loss of current and some future income.  Whether the insured dies of natural or accidental causes, his/her beneficiaries will receive lump payments.  Life insurance can help:

  • Replace the loss of future income
  • Provide the ability for a spouse/partner to keep a home
  • Allow a surviving partner to raise and educate children
  • Unlike whole life insurance, term insurance has no cash value.


Ensure your loved ones are taken care of after you are gone.
We have affordable group rates for members.
Our policy is a decreasing term life insurance.

Who is Eligible?
Be a Retired HSTA Member.

Dependent Coverage
For Class II, Dependent Term Life Insurance is available only to legal spouse. 


How to File a Claim

  • The Trust Office must be notified when a covered individual passes away.
  • The Beneficiary (or the Beneficiary’s authorized representative) must complete and submit IRS Form W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) and a certified copy of the Death Certificate to the Trust Office. If the Beneficiary is a Trust, a copy of the Trust instrument and all amendments, if applicable, must be submitted to the Trust Office.
  • Upon notification and receipt of the required documentation, the Trust Office will complete the necessary forms and transmit them together with the required documentation to Pacific Guardian Life.

The biggest difference is the benefit amount.  If you need more than what is being offered by the Basic plan, consider applying for the Basic Plus Life Insurance plan.  The Basic Plus plan is a decreasing term plan which means as you get older your coverage decreases and your monthly premium may change.

Basic Plus Life is a decreasing term life insurance plan.  Your benefit amount decreases and your premium may increase when you reach age 60, 65, and 75.

Yes, you may apply for spouse coverage if you are currently enrolled.  An evidence of insurability form must be completed for your spouse.  This form must be submitted with your enrollment form.  Dependent children coverage is not available.

Yes, if you are a current HSTA retired member, call the HSTA VEBA TRUST at 808-440-6940 or 1-800-637-4926 (neighbor islands) and request enrollment forms to be mailed to you.  An Evidence of Insurability Form may need to be completed in addition to the enrollment form.

The life insurance carrier makes that determination.  They will inform you directly if your enrollment has been approved or denied.  Upon approval, HSTA VEBA TRUST will enroll you.

For your convenience, premiums are paid via pension deduction.